Friday, April 22, 2011

Planting

All I have are lots of pictures of dirt, so I'll leave them out.  On 4/12 I planted radishes, sugar snap peas, beets and carrots.  All except for the carrots have sprouted.

On 4/17 I transplanted the cabbage, which seemed to stop growing in it's little pots so I'm not sure it will make it.

Yesterday, 4/21, I transplanted leeks and cauliflower, seeded kale, swiss chard and planted the asparagus crowns.

So much has been done, but all I can see is how much more there is to plant, tend to, harvest, put up.  It's such a huge project, I don't think I realized when we started just how big it was.  I hope the harvest feels abundant, because now, looking at the very leggy tomato plants, worrying over the stunted cabbage, searching for the chard and peas that haven't yet sprouted, I am praying we will have more than just a handful of veggies to fill our bellies this summer and fall.

All of that said I wouldn't want to be doing anything else.  To have a few uninterrupted hours in the garden is heaven.  I love our little piece of land.  I love how beautiful it is here in the spring.  Maybe it won't sustain us this year but I know that one day all of this work will feed our family. I also know that Bea will know that food comes from dirt and hard work, not just from the grocery store.  Those are the things that make it all totally worth it.        

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bex said...

Thanks for the updates! I'm just hoping you get enough out of it to send me some pickles and jam. No altruism here.

Mary said...

I love reading the updates. I'm sure your hard work will give you much to munch! Each year it will get better. I miss being able to grow a garden like I used to do with Ralph. Just do a few tomato plants now, so watching your progress is heart-warming to me!
Keep up the good work!
Love Ya!
Aunt Mary