Monday, March 21, 2011

Starting seeds

We've had a few different versions of our own seed starting operation over the past few weeks.  The first seeds, cabbage, leeks, thyme, lemon balm and sage were sown into 3'' pots on February 18th.  Next came the lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, oregano, calendula, watermelon and cucumbers.  All in two giant lasagna pans.  That was not a good idea, since all of the seeds have different germination times and like different temperatures.  When it comes to watermelon and cukes, they shouldn't really have been started for another few weeks, but, hey, there's a pretty steep learning curve here. I'm dealing with it.   

There's been a lot of tweaking, here's the latest version:


It worked well for the past week and a half but now the plants are growing too tall and starting to touch the lights.  I don't think that's a good thing, so tomorrow I'll reconfigure them.  I found the shop lights in our basement, we had the shelves and I got a carload of the pots and trays from freecycle. The baking pans under the pots were about $1 each at Target.  There is a lot of shuffling that happens since there are more plants than lights and I keep dreaming about having a slightly more sophisticated set-up next year, but it was mostly free and took a lot of measuring and staring, so I'm pretty proud of it.   

No comments: